Monitoring Oracle Database Servers is business critical
Monitoring Oracle database servers is a multi-faceted exercise. Reaching optimal performance is therefore not an easy goal.
You need to know how factors such as memory, physical design and maintenance can affect performance. To tune and maintain a subsystem or instance, it is essential to continuously monitor the entire Oracle environment (RAC).
Understand and manage your Oracle environment like an ecosystem that is constantly changing in terms of physical design, transactions, and memory – while still maintaining the right balance at any given time. This balance is what ensures the best possible performance.
NiCE MP NewsVIEW ALL -
- Cutting edge DB2 Monitoring with Microsoft SCOM NiCE is pleased to announce the availability of...
- Get Alerts on Impacted PowerHA Systems Dear Clients and Resellers, Clusters are mainly used to ...
- Monitoring complex Veritas Cluster Server landscapes all in a breath NiCE is pleased to announc...
Monitoring Oracle Database Servers is business critical
As a system, application, and database administrator that works with Oracle databases, we understand that you face a few significant challenges in your role which include:
- Managing complex Oracle environment
- Diagnosing and addressing problems in real-time in your Oracle ecosystem;
- Working efficiently with limited resources.
- Trying to get alerts in time and through your preferred channel
Not only do you have to work in this challenging environment, but you also have to ensure high performance and system availability of your Oracle databases, as well as maintain an overall healthy IT environment.
Complex Oracle Database monitoring
Monitoring Oracle database servers is a multi-faceted exercise and reaching optimal performance is not an easy goal. You need to know how factors such as memory, physical design and maintenance can affect performance.
Working with System Center Operations Manager, otherwise referred to as SCOM certainly makes it easier for you as an IT professional to monitor the health and performance of your systems, but there is still a missing puzzle piece to complete the single interface view of SCOM, which facilitates the monitoring of databases, middleware and applications.
System Center, NiCE Oracle MP, and database administration
The NiCE Oracle Management Pack (NiCE Oracle MP) for Microsoft SCOM is one of the pieces that you need as you work with System Center. We have developed this cross-platform management pack that extends the view of SCOM to give you the holistic picture of your Oracle servers and databases whether running on UNIX, Linux or Windows, thus completing the enterprise scope for you.
Our Oracle MP continuously monitors the Oracle database infrastructure, identifying server problems before they affect applications and end users, through the use of predefined event conditions and threshold monitors.
Oracle MP for SCOM
How does our Oracle MP work?
The NiCE Oracle MP is a sophisticated and intelligent Enterprise Ready management pack that was designed to fully integrate into Microsoft SCOM. The management pack collects the detailed data that you need from your Oracle instances allowing you to monitor your systems without affecting or impacting their overall performance.
As an Oracle Business Partner, we are always striving to provide you with the most up-to-date, fully functional management pack. As such, our cross-platform management pack gives in-depth system views which allow you to monitor individual components including:
- Oracle instances (processes)
See section – 'What can you do with our Oracle MP' for more information.
End-to-end management of databases – End-to-end management of your Oracle databases is of utmost importance. As a DBA, you need an Oracle Database MP which is a reliable integrator between your application (Oracle Database) and your Microsoft infrastructure (SCOM). The key functions that you would expect your Oracle MP to fulfill include:
- Clear and precise performance indicators
- Single pane of glass view of your systems
- Timely alerts
- Pinpoint accuracy with regards to problem identification
- In-depth reporting
- Streamlining your workflow
If you have made the investment into the SCOM management tool, then the NiCE Oracle MP is the perfect complement to this tool because it will assist you in increasing your operational efficiency, thereby reducing your total cost of ownership in the long run.
Why the NiCE Oracle MP for SCOM is better
Identify problems fast - The NiCE Oracle MP was designed to increase the productivity of both the Operations Manager administrator and operator, providing the ability to identify problems quickly and take corrective action to avoid costly downtime. Build-in features like SCOM "Diagnostic Tasks" help the DBA and the operator to troubleshoot more efficiently.
Seamless SCOM integration – The NiCE Oracle MP provides sophisticated integration into Microsoft System Center Operations Manager. System administrators, therefore, do not need to install or configure additional server, proxies or connectors to pinpoint root causes to solve issue easily, quickly and efficiently. No additional software needs to be installed on the Management server or proxy.
Leverage the native capabilities of SCOM – A distributed agent (Microsoft Monitoring Agent for Windows, Cross Platform Agent for UNIX/Linux – please refer to (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn465153.aspx) is used in conjunction with NiCE Oracle MP. All monitoring builds on the original System Center Agent providing you with the best of call Agent based monitoring for Oracle without installing any extra agents. Our innovative architecture allows system administrators to centrally configure exception-based monitoring in distributed Oracle environments. Following Microsoft’s Best Practice design guides, all run-time information is stored in the Operations Manager Database and Datawarehouse. There is neither run-time data on the SCOM server nor Oracle system.
High Availability for Monitoring - Availability is key and the last thing you want is an incomplete SLA report due to monitoring failure. The NiCE Oracle MP architecture is designed in a way that no single point of failure exists if multiple Management Servers are part of the Management Group. As the Oracle monitoring is based on the Microsoft SCOM Agents, all HA features like Agent redirect and multi-homing can be leveraged for reliable Oracle monitoring.
What can you do with our Oracle MP?
The NiCE Oracle MP allows you to perform a multitude of functions that are critical in your role as system, application or database administrator. Some key functionalities include:
- Precise on-time availability alerting - via System Center channels and subscriptions. Alerting is done precisely through a number of core monitors. The Oracle MP provides separate availability monitors for Listeners, Instances (Processes) Databases, Tablespaces and Datafiles.
- Support for Enterprise environments – Do you have more than 10 Oracle instances? Or more than 500 tablespaces you need to monitor? You may want to carefully evaluate the monitoring products you use. The NiCE Oracle MP supports dedicated monitors and discovery for larger environments to also keep your System Center datawarehouse in shape. At the same time it gives you detailed alerts, for example, if one of your tablespaces does not have free space left. Further features include: ASM and RMAN monitoring.
- Single pane of glass - Monitor and manage your whole environment from a single point of reference. This equates to efficiency and saving time and resources.
- Scalable monitoring – Optimize the configuration of your Oracle databases. The Oracle MP includes monitors and reports about current capacity usage and also for capacity planning.
- High availability – If Oracle High availability is critical to your business, you can use the build in Oracle Real Application Cluster (RAC) or Data Guard monitors. A number of other cluster technologies are supported.
- Oracle Discovery – If you need visibility into your Oracle architecture, you will value the detailed discovery. Not only are Database, Instance, Listeners, Tablespaces and Datafiles discovered, but they are also enriched with configuration information. This includes database levels, regional, language and currency settings, database log mode and also database roles. For RAC and DataGuard environments, separate distributed application views are included besides state, performance, dashboard and alert views.
- Reporting – After you have deployed the Oracle MP you can make use of a set of Oracle Reports.
NiCE Oracle MP - Diagram View
Click here to see an enlarged image.
Overall benefits of the NiCE Oracle MP
Some key benefits of the NiCE Oracle MP include:
- Enforce Oracle uptime – which in turn increases productivity and reduces downtime.
- Pinpoint accuracy – because you will be able to pinpoint the source of problems and resolve issues quicker
- Work more efficiently – with the same resources because of our management pack which provides a comprehensive solution
- Reduce the operational cost of your application monitoring while still delivering results and maintaining the health of your Oracle databases
The system requirements for our Oracle MP are as follows:
- Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2, 2012, 2012 SP1 or 2012 R2
- Microsoft Windows, IBM, AIX, Oracle Solaris, and Linux, HP-UX
- Oracle Database 10g, 11g, 12c
Smart Application Monitoring You Can Rely On